Filippo Magnini (born 2 February 1982) is an Italian professional swimmer, member of the Italy Swimming National Team since 1998. He participated to 3 Olympic Games, 12 World Championships (indoor & outdoor) and 18 European Championships (indoor & outdoor). He was twice 100 meters freestyle World champion and three times European champion at that distance. He is holder of the 100 meters freestyle national record since 2003, record that he broke 9 times between 2003 and 2009.
You can read his complete biography and palmares here on Wikipedia.
1. Do you remember your first watch?
Sure, it was a SWATCH offered by my parents for a local swimming competition that I had just won.
2. The 3 most iconic watch models?
OMEGA Speedmaster Moonwatch, ROLEX Submariner, AUDEMARS PIGUET Royal Oak Jumbo.
3. A noteworthy anecdote with one of your watches?
I bought my first “important” vintage watch many years ago. I saw it in a display window, I fell in love with it and I said to myself: “If I guess the price I buy it.” I went in and asked the seller two pieces of paper. On the first he wrote the price of the watch without showing it to me, on the second I wrote my estimation. Then we turned the papers … and I bought the watch!
4. Are you more modern or vintage?
I love vintage watches if they are in perfect condition. But I think some modern models cannot be surpassed.
5. I love Speedmasters because …
Because it’s a piece of space history… and for me it became really concrete when it was fitted with an extra-terrestrial dial like the Speedmaster Gray Side of The Moon “Meteorite”.
6. Your favorite Speedmaster?
The Speedmaster Silver Snoopy Award, I fell in love with the first model and when the new edition came out in 2015 I ran to buy it.
7. A single personal item you would take with you for a long stay on the Moon?
A swimsuit. Who knows? Imagine I can find a swimming pool there!
8. You just won the lottery. Do you first buy a sports car or call a financial advisor?
I immediately buy the sports car… and then on my new Bugatti I run by the financial advisor!
9. Where would you spend the next 24 hours if you had a teleporter?
In a desert island: sun, sea, beach and a beautiful sunset.
10. How many times a day do you watch … your watch?
Continuously because I’m always in a hurry.
11. The last watch you bought?
OMEGA Speedmaster ’57 ref. 3184.108.40.206.01.002.
12. What’s on your wrist today?
My beloved Silver Snoopy Award Limited Edition of 1’970 pieces.